Monday, May 02, 2005

Thailand, Anyone?

After returning from China last Thursday nite, I unpacked my suitcase, did some laundry, and.. re-packed my suitcase. You see, this past weekend was a long weekend in HK due to their labor day holiday (actually in China they have this whole week off... lucky ducks). So, I decided, since I am half way across the world, why not take advantage? I booked a trip to Pattaya, Thailand, which is about 2 hours outside of Bankok. I was travelling alone, which was new for me, but I figured how often am I going to get to the other side of the world on someone else's dime? So, friday morning I hopped on a plane headed for Bankok. After sitting down, I was pleased to see a tall, thin, white man walking down the isle, amidst all the indian, chinese, and other people. And what'dya know, he sits down right next to me. Turns out, he's British, about my age, his name is Michael Reday or something like that. He's a police officer on a 10 month sabatacle travelling the world.. now this guy has guts. So, we chat it up a while, then proceed to try to watch our in-flight tv. I notice that Mike's doesnt seem to be working properly. Ok, he says, he will just play games. He picks Hangman. So, the game pops up, first word... takes a couple minutes... Skyscraper. Cool, we figgered it out. Next word.... weird... Skyscraper...uh-oh.... next... you guessed it... skyscraper. So, the damned thing was broken the whole flight and wouldnt let him quit the game!! We laughed a bit, then I broke my headphones in 2 and let him share so he could watch my tv and save his sanity from the 'skyscraper dillemma'. Then he asks me what I will do in Thailand... I am honest, I have no idea. Havent even given it any thought. He, of course, being the world traveller he is, pulls out a big honkin book of all the countries. We look up Thailand, then Pattaya, and first thing it says ... "A male fantasy..." Oh dear, where has my boss sent me?! So, that definitely was an amusing tidbit to know pre-arrival. I would have to figure out what that meant when I got there. Then we look at some common words, and the word hello is pronounced "crap" haha!! Walk up, and say.. Crap, how are you? haha. So that was amusing. Anyways, we landed, parted ways, and that was that. Thailand, here I am!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home