Friday, April 28, 2006

Viva La Mexico

So... I havent written in this thing in almost a year... sad, and pathetic, I know. But, once again, I am travlling quasi-abroad and I am bored.. so here goes....

I am working in a plant in TJ Mexico for 6 weeks. Now, this is nothing like China, but still, its a culture shock thing. The people here seem much more cordial than the ones in my previous trip, so thats good. The work is not quite as exciting though. Considering I know just about no Spanish (minus the butchered version of "take me out to the ballgame" that my friends used to sing in 7th grade), its still pretty hard to go to meetings and have no idea what people are saying. The people are more willing to try to teach me the language here tho... so thats good.

Last weekend, I got to see my good friend, Anne, who I havent seen in quite a long time. It was nice to hang out with her and her roommates. Good to have normal human contact. They were all very nice, and took me to barbecues, and made me dinner and sang happy belated birthday to me, and made me a cake (well, that was all Anne). Nice folks, these doctorate students are... prolly happy cuz they know they will make waaay more money than me once they get out of school... hehe. They have fruit trees in their back yard... isnt that awesome? Lemons, and ___quats... its not cumquats, but something similar, and figs and peaches... luckies. You can tell that they are always out and busy because.. they dont have cable. Coming from Buffalo, where there is nothing to do but watch tv.. thats odd. But, around here there are lots of places to go, and walk and explore, because the weather is always nice out. Me and her roommate Shannon and Anne went walking in this cliffy-type park which was cool because it overlooked the water and all that good stuff. I got tired... they didnt because they run marathons and stuff. Over-achievers. hehe. I couldnt run a marathon if I tried. I also got to see seals for the first time out of their natural habitat... the aquarium.. hehe. Just kidding. I had never seen seals just hangin out on the beach with their babies.. it was cool. They are "pupping" apparently, so the beach is all blocked off so they can have their babies in peace. They were a little smelly tho. I would post pictures, but I dunno how. hehe..

I am sure there is more.. but I should really be doing work now...

PS. I am so sad that I am missing the hockey playoffs when my team of forever is in the playoffs for the first time in 5 years!! GO SABRES!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home